Not my best mommy moment.

This past weekend, Kira had a meltdown from He-double hockey sticks.

It was simply fantastic. And mortifying in every.possible.way.

Long story short, she had a huge fit in front of a whole bunch of people (mainly mothers of three year olds, and her tantrum was so spectacular that they all likely scheduled their husbands vasectomies the next day).

I didn't handle it well. I was woefully unprepared mentally for the sheer capacity of crap she had at the ready for tossing my direction, and it was terrible.

In hindsight, I should have walked her out the front door and around the block until we both calmed down. Instead I tried to deal with her there in a back bedroom. It was loud and awful and I swear I never want to see those women again, because I will turn a thousand shades of red if I ever did.

After we left, she continued her tirade for most of the next two hours. We had to run errands, so there was little we could do but deal with her, which involved me, a 2004 copy of  National Geographic detailing what would happen if a hurricane were to ever devastate New Orleans (Wow, were they spot on), and sitting in our van with  the A/C running so as not to subject other poor unfortunate souls who had the unfortunate idea to go out into the same public space as we did.

By the time we got to the furniture store to pick up Shawn's new book case, she had managed to mostly pull herself together. And they were having fun checking out the fountain outside and just chill. So I grabbed my camera.




We survived our day. And I still have two children, and I even like both of them again. ;) 

Why am I sharing? Because I feel more normal, less like a loser of a mother when I read other people's stories about how they have less than stellar mommy moments. 

It's nice to know we are all in this together. That none of us has a manual. That some days we get it wrong, and that it's all going to be ok. Tomorrow. ;) 

5 comments:

Ariana Sullivan said...

It is really... comforting, in a sad way, to hear about her fit. I wouldn't wish that misery on anyone but then knowing it's not just my child that does that occasionally makes me breathe a sigh of relief!

**MIGNONNE** said...

LOL! She looks so angelic.

Being a mom to a girl is so hard. Emma started these weird irrational mood swings at eight! EIGHT! It just gets crazier and crazier as she gets older. Thank goodness they don't happen too often or I would have her listed on Craigslis "Free to good home" ;)

Hang in there.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wingnut said...

Oh yeah. I've got a t-shirt for it around here somewhere! It's been a while since we've had one of those moments ourselves but it does happen to most Moms I know. She's had a lot of change in her life and I bet it finally hit her and it all just rolled into one hot ball of tantrum. {{{hugs to you both}}}

Heidi said...

Mignonne, she *is* eight.

Thanks for all the sympathy everyone. :)