FACT FINDING FRIDAY!

Jamie Oliver is starting a food revolution!


 One of the things I am concerned with is what the schools are serving our children for school lunch. I find that the food is just as bad as I recall as a child. I packed a lunch (or rather my mom did it for me) until I was in the fourth grade. I ate in the cafeteria begrudgingly until my freshman year of higshcool, when I resorted to corn dogs and a Dr. Pepper or a bag of Sun Chips and a Dr. Pepper or a Snickers...you get the idea. Until Friday when I ate at Taco Time.

My point being. I never liked the food and only ate there because it was necessary for our family at the time.
For first grade Kira took a lunch from home nearly every day. I'm sad to admit that this year that hasn't been the case at all, and I've fallen into the," writing a check is much easier" trap. In addition to that I have not eaten at her school so I have no idea what she is even eating each day. :( 

I picked up a bunch of  Bento stuff at a Japanese dollar store in San Diego a couple of years ago and I find that that makes packing so easy when I do it. Plus it really gives a great visual for portion control. I just wonder what the reality of my doing this will be when I'm trying to get all of us out the door and off to school (me included) in August.
This premise, to change the food in our schools excites me, yet at the same time it really intimidates me. I know that getting change in our schools can be like beating your head against a brick wall. I was on the PTA for two years. And it is better in some places than others. 

In addition to that, we all know that good food costs more. And with our economy and the HUGE slashes that the AZ leaders are taking to the education budget, it feels impossible.
I would like to think it isn't and I'm hoping that this show will help pave the way, give ideas and incentive to make a change. I hope to be a part of that change. 

Sadly, I think anyone who really pushes this through that doesn't bear the name "Jamie Oliver" and isn't being followed around by camera's will not experience the success we would hope for.
 
"A message from Jamie..."
I believe that every child in America has the right to fresh, nutritious school meals, and that every family deserves real, honest, wholesome food. Too many people are being affected by what they eat. It's time for a national revolution. America needs to stand up for better food!

You live in an amazing country full of inspirational people and you have the power to change things. With your help, we can get better food into homes, schools and communities all over America and give your kids a better future.

Sign the petition to save America's cooking skills and improve school food. It could be the most important thing you ever do for your family. America's health needs you now!

  • Sneak Peek on Sunday 21st March 10pm EST and Friday 26th March – 8 pm EST on ABC

0 comments: